The same things that make the outdoors nicer weather-wise during certain seasons of the year can also exacerbate allergies. And this can be dangerous. When exposed to an allergen, such as pollen, the immune system goes into overdrive and produces specific antibodies that release certain chemicals in the body. This release of chemicals is responsible for causing an allergic reaction. These chemicals may not be released in another individual exposed to the same thing. The number one approach to managing allergies is to be aware of triggers, hence why visiting an allergy clinic is so important. Dr. Sandra Arce-Garzon and Dr. Sergio Casaclang from Best Care Family Health Center can help manage allergies at our allergy clinic in Milwaukee, WI.
Do You Offer Allergy Testing?
Yes, we do. When it comes to allergies, we propose that knowing is much more than half the battle. We provide allergy testing of all sorts to determine what substances in the air, food, animals or other material may cause a reaction.
What Help Will You Provide for My or My Child’s Allergies?
Once you know your or your child's allergens, we can advise you on how best to manage them. Some treatments that may be recommended by the providers at our allergy clinic in Milwaukee, WI consist of the following:
- Over-the-counter medications such as antihistamines will dampen the response of the immune system when exposed to allergens.
- Decongestants and steroids will help the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Immunotherapy is a long-term process consisting of allergy shots. These shots involve injecting very small amounts of the allergen intending to get the body used to the allergen. This results in less and less of a reaction when exposed to the allergen.
What Are the Symptoms of Allergies I Should Look For?
Symptoms to look for after coming into contact with a suspected allergen are:
- Stuffy nose/sneezing
- Itchiness in the ears or roof of the mouth
- Tightening of the throat/difficulty swallowing
- A rash consisting of hives or welts
- Red, itchy, and watery eyes
- Asthmatic-like symptoms like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath
What Can I Do at Home To Help With Allergies?
Strategies to implement at home to fight allergies include:
- Avoidance of known allergens is the best strategy, especially those known to cause a strong reaction.
- Control the amount of dust in your home, especially in the bedroom
- Stay indoors when pollen counts are highest.
- Use a humidifier in drier areas of your home
- To combat pollen entering your home, close windows and use air conditioning
- Stay adequately hydrated
- Always carry a medical alert card and an epinephrine pen in the case of a severe reaction.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Arce-Garzon or Dr. Casaclang from Best Care Family Health Center to learn how to best manage your allergies at our allergy clinic in Milwaukee, WI. You can reach us by calling (414) 282-5810.