How your family practice doctors in Milwaukee, Wisconsin can help your children enjoy good health
If you have children, it’s only natural to wonder about what you should feed them. Proper nutrition can be confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. Our family practice can help. Led by Dr. Sandra Arce-Garzon and Dr. Sergio Casaclang, we here at Best Care Family Health Center in Milwaukee, WI, offer a wide range of medical services, including nutritional counseling, to keep your children healthy.
Prioritize Your Child's Health
Obesity is a common problem, often caused by eating too many calories and not receiving enough exercise. So how many calories should your child have every day? According to healthychildren.org, your child should have:
- 1000 calories, if your child is 2-3 years old
- 1200-1400 calories, if your child is 4-8 years old
- 1400-1600 calories for girls, and 1600-2000 calories for boys 9-13 years old
- 1800 calories for girls, and 2000-2400 calories for boys 14-18 years old
These calorie counts should contain all the food groups, including a combination of:
- Lean proteins like fish, turkey, and chicken
- Whole fruits, not fruit juices
- Vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables
- Whole grains, like whole wheat, rice, and quinoa
- Dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt
To view and print the Children's Food Pyramid Coloring Page, please visit https://cdn.education.com/worksheet-image/280995/food-pyramid-coloring-page-life.gif.
You should try to establish a regular time for meals, and limit the availability of snacks and junk food. Nutritional counseling can help you set up a plan to help your child stay healthy. Proper nutrition is critical to development and growth. When your child’s nutritional needs are met, it helps their immune, nervous, and circulatory systems function properly, and helps protect their vital organs.
To learn more about your child’s nutritional requirements and other children’s family practice topics, call Dr. Sandra Arce-Garzon and Dr. Sergio Casaclang of Best Care Family Health Center in Milwaukee, WI at (414) 282-5810 today.